Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?

This article caught my attention as I opened my browser to check my mails. I have problems on sleeping lately (especially I'm on a night shift) and I said to myself this could be a help so I checked it right away. This is a feature article in Yahoo! news and was taken from Time dot com and written by Laura Blue.

As quoted in the article:
"Q: How much sleep is ideal?

A: Studies show that people who sleep between 6.5 hours and 7.5 hours a night, as they report, live the longest. And people who sleep 8 hours or more, or less than 6.5 hours, they don't live quite as long. There is just as much risk associated with sleeping too long as with sleeping too short. The big surprise is that long sleep seems to start at 8 hours. Sleeping 8.5 hours might really be a little worse than sleeping five."

So they are saying the ideal number is 6.5 to 7.5 hours of sleep per night and sleeping less is preferable. I have no problem doing the latter as I always do that. Lol... One thing I would like to note, however, is that spending less time in bed actually makes sleep better. I hope this study is also correct when sleeping at daytime. Sigh...

No comments: