Friday, October 10, 2008

Black Red Sligh for Standard (Episode Two)

My quest for building the perfect B/R Sligh has made some progress. Just this afternoon, I went to our local Mtg shop to do some playtest with my fellow players. I got to play against Jaime's Mono Blue Merfolks and Joseph's Demigod Red and Mono Black Rogues.

First off, here's the list that I playtested with. I made some last minute changes before going there.

Maindeck
4 Boggart Ram-Gang
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Spark Elemental
4 Tattermunge Maniac

4 Blightning
4 Flame Javelin
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
3 Lash Out
2 Unwilling Recruit

4 Graven Cairns
4 Sulfurous Springs
15 Mountain

Here's my analysis and observations regarding the matchups. These are casual games without sideboards.

Versus Merfolks – its a decent match up as I got more burn to prevent him to grow his army. Unfortunately, I noticed that I'm lacking or always ran out of threats which results into either a longer time for me to win or giving him the chance to get back in the game. Also, Spark Elemental is really not worth it so I decided to substitute it to Ashenmoor Gouger. The succeeding matches went pretty well as the gouger is a bomb. My win-loss percentage prediction would be 65-35.

Versus Mono Black Rogues – my burn spells got an edge in this match although he can also deal with my threats. One thing I'm avoiding is the early discard effects via Oona's Blackguard. Proper use of burn spells on the right targets is the key here. We played a few games and luckily I won all of those. Win-loss percentage prediction is 70-30.

Versus Demigod Red – I got a few hints with Joseph's build of the deck. He had maindecked Pyroclasm. Maybe because of the popularity of the Kithkins here but I agree with the idea. His build is less aggressive than mine but he can outplay you from third turn up to the next turns. We always had an exchange of creatures, I burn his, he burns mine, but his Demigod always got me. I guess I really need to bring back the avatar. My advantage though in this match is a timed Blightning which devastates his hand, usually removing two of his burn spells. The win-loss percentage prediction in this match is 40-60.

Based on the match-ups, I can conclude that I needed to lessen my burn spells and add more threats. I've proven that the saying “Threats are better than answers” is really true.

In the case of Blightning, the card remains in the deck. I just love it. I'm not sure though of its effectiveness against the Kithkins. We'll see tomorrow hehe... Also on the built-in Pyroclasm, I think I should follow the trick. I'll just wish that I'll not be facing some forge-tenders. Lol...

To sum it up, my final decklist would look like this:

BR Sligh/Demigod by Mark Ian Alloso
Maindeck
4 Ashenmoor Gouger
4 Boggart Ram-Gang
4 Demigod of Revenge
4 Figure of Destiny

4 Blightning
4 Flame Javelin
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
3 Pyroclasm
1 Unwilling Recruit

2 Auntie's Hovel
4 Graven Cairns
12 Mountain
2 Reflecting Pool
4 Sulfurous Springs

I haven't decided yet on the sideboard but probably that'll compose of cards anti of big creatures, life gain and a few of land destruction. Also, additional mass removal is surely included. The final list of sideboard would likely be decided by tomorrow. I just hope that my insight regarding the meta tomorrow is correct. Wish me luck...

Till next post guys. Happy weekend!

*image courtesy of Xander from Mtg Salvation forums.

2 comments:

James Roy Labrador said...

black is for Blightning .. nice .. we got same deck but without figure of destiny ... still planing to get 4 hehehee

is it really worth for blightning to be included ? still need to test it ..

Death Mark said...

I assumed Blightning as a tech against Kithkins but unfortunately it disappointed me. I went 0-3-1 last Saturday. *sigh*

I guess it would be better as a sideboard... It still needs more playtest though.